If you have been injured while on a cruise, there are certain actions you should take to ensure you receive proper medical care and protect your legal rights. Our Miami cruise ship accident lawyers have prepared a list of steps you should take if you have been injured or taken ill while aboard a cruise:
- Seek Medical Attention As Soon As Possible: As soon as you become ill or are injured, seek help. The faster you receive first aid or have the ship’s doctor evaluate your injury, the more likely you are to receive the medical treatment you need to minimize further damage and mitigate pain. You will also be protecting your future legal rights.
- Jot down the events that led up to your injury or illness: The details of the accident will prove important in any future legal action. As such, gather as much information you can right from the start. Be sure to write down the names of witnesses as well as their contact information. Collect names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of these involved passengers or crew members.
- Photograph the scene of the accident and your injuries: A visual image of the accident site and your injury may prove useful later on in uncovering how the accident occurred and who was responsible.
- File an incident report: You must file an incident report with the cruise ship. Ask the medical personnel or other officials on the ship as to their incident reporting practice. The incident report form is a vital initial step to your case. Be sure to request a copy of the report and provide it to your attorney for further evaluation.
- Call a cruise ship accident attorney: If it is possible, you should contact a cruise ship accident attorney while you are still on the ship. Your attorney will be able to provide you with helpful information and steps you can take while aboard and immediately upon your departure. If you are unable to contact an attorney while aboard, do so as soon as you get back home. It is critical that you find an attorney with experience in the field of cruise ship injuries and accidents. This is a small field of law full of complex legal issues and challenges. Most attorneys will not be licensed or capable of bringing a cruise ship accident case. You will usually need to contact a Florida based attorney as most cruise lines require that suit be filed in federal court in Miami. Contacting an attorney will be the first vital step in initiating action against het cruise line. The quicker you act, the better your chances of a full recovery as important evidence can be gathered and your legal rights protected from the very start.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano: Zealous Representation for All Cruise Ship Accident Victims
Cruises are designed to be full of fun and leisure, but cruise ship injuries and illnesses do happen at surprisingly high rates. If you have been injured or taken seriously ill on a cruise ship, the Miami Cruise Ship Accident attorneys at the law firm of Greenberg Stone and Urbano are here to help. Our lawyers have over 130 years combined experience fighting for the recovery of cruise ship accident victims. Our unmatched professional excellence has earned us an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and acknowledgement as one of South Florida’s top-rated firms by the Miami Herald. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule an appointment so that we can start mounting your successful case.